Monday 30 April 2012

My interview with designer Sarah Stevenson


I am excited to be finally posting my interview with designer Sarah Stevenson after a busy week with Fashion Alternative Toronto, which I will post in another entry later. 

Sarah Stevenson is a Toronto clothing & textile designer. She began her studies with fashion at George Brown College and later went on to earn her Masters Degree in Fashion & Textile design on full scholarship at the Institute of European Design in Milan, Italy. She returned to Toronto in 2010 and established her company, Sarah Stevenson Design. All of her fabrics and clothing are made ethically and sustainably here in CanadaSarah was kind enough to give my readers a glimpse into her work on the Tutu Project with the National Ballet of Canada and accessory designer, Eliza Kozurno. Here is a summary on the project that Sarah shared with me.

The Tutu Project by The National Ballet of Canada 
"Equinox" by Sarah Stevenson & Eliza Kozurno 

 "The tutu is ballet's most universally recognised symbol and to celebrate the National Ballet's 60th anniversary. 60 tutus were created by artists and designers and will be on display during the 2012 season. I was asked to create one of these tutus and collaborated with an accessory designer Eliza Kozurno. Our tutu is entitled "Equinox" meaning equal day and night. We wanted to take our inspiration from a Ballet and chose Swan Lake because we thought that it brilliantly represented the contrast of our two styles. Eliza's being strong and edgy, while mine is delicate and feminine. The result wonderfully embodies these contrasts while seamlessly transitioning from dark to light. The tutu includes handmade feathers made with my signature fabric."

Sarah was also kind enough to answer a few questions I had despite her busy schedule. For those of you who don't know about this talented designer, ever since her successful shows with Rock the Runway 2011 and Toronto Fashion Week S/S 2011 Sarah and her designs have been popping up everywhere! The most recent being her appropriately titled "Ballet Skirt" in "Magnolia" in Fashion Magazine's "55 Rainbow Hued Shopping Picks That Shine Brightly for Any Age". Sarah Stevenson's Ballet Skirt in Magnolia



- Hello Sarah, I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about the project, the work that went into it, if it was it for marketing or just purely for art? What inspired you? Were you marketing it to anyone? If so who? If you enjoyed it or if it was hard work?


- I danced ballet until I was 16 so it was very exciting to be invited to be part of this project. I did it for fun (I worked on it with my friend) and for marketing/exposure. The summary explains the inspiration and yes I enjoyed it very much!


- That's fantastic! And it is interesting to hear you actually had a ballet background. I would also like to know if you think fashion is a very important part of the dance and/or performing arts world?


As far as fashion being an important part of the dance/performing arts world - definintely! I think that dance influences fashion and fashion influences dance costume. If you look back at the early 1900s in Paris, designers were inspired by the Ballet Russe and continue to be.


I would like to thank Sarah for taking the time out to talk about this very special project. You can find out more on the Tutu Project on the National Ballet of Canada's website The Tutu Project and more on Sarah Stevenson Design on her website SarahStevensonDesign.com.


Photo on top taken from Sarah Stevenson Design website of her "Ivy Ballet" skirt. Middle picture of the Tutu Project designed by Sarah Stevenson and Eliza Kozurno. Photo provided by Sarah Stevenson.

No comments:

Post a Comment