Tuesday 17 April 2012

Are You Worth It?- Part one...

This originally was going to be a one part entry but after a conversation I had a couple of days ago and a recent article I stumbled upon in the Daily Mail website, I think it's important I discuss this in two separate entries. This first one is talking about money...


A constant question that comes up especially amongst the freelancers of this industry is, “How much do I charge for my services?” That goes for models, makeup artists, wardrobe stylists, designers, photographers, hair stylists, retouchers, etc alike. So how do you determine your worth?

First begin with how much experience you have. If you are new to this business you will have to start from the ground up. I have not known anyone personally who didn’t pay their dues before they got to the successful stage they are at now in their careers. Never go into this industry thinking it is a well paid, lucrative career. Again this applies to all of the above I mentioned before. You have to be able to make a portfolio and show examples of your work. You wouldn’t walk into a normal job interview with no resume and completely empty handed. 

Another question one must ask themselves, are you good at you do? Do you go that extra mile for someone or something? Now this doesn't mean whoring yourself out (which will be discussed in part two). I am talking about whether you are willing to do the research and extra work to get you a bigger paycheck. For models it could be another skill, makeup artists could learn special effects and photographers could try other means of photography, like landscape. This is just small examples but if you brainstorm you would be surprised to learn that just having something else under your belt really makes or breaks your career. I've recently come to discover my dance training is in high demand when it comes to my modeling. I have gone from an extremely, unsuccessful slow season to booking jobs, especially paid left, right and centre. For styling it was learning how to make jewelry which I'm still learning. I will be attending classes in the summer to hone my skill.

Research is key! Do your research on whoever you are looking to book with. If I could receive a dime for every time I heard models, makeup artists, stylists, photographers, etc complain about not booking jobs but never knew anything about the company/designer/etc, let alone their names, I would be rich! Why would you expect to get booked when you know nothing about the job? It is like someone applying for a job at Starbucks not only just unaware what they do there but also not even knowing the name "Starbucks".


My first paid modeling job happened naturally. I never even thought of charging when the photographer handed me £20 ($40 Canadian roughly at the time). It wasn’t a lot but that was when I realised I was at a point in my career that I was experienced enough and good enough to begin making more demands. I did and still do the occasional free job but when it comes to things like travel I ask for a fee depending on how much money I spent traveling to the destination. If it does not benefit my book or me I charge for the overall shoot. At the same time one must remember to not be too demanding. No one wants to work with a prima donna, no matter how talented you are. One thing I have never agreed on is when a photographer tells me they will never pay for a model. It is completely off putting for me and insulting. I had one photographer tell me, “I’ve never paid for a model and I never will. If the client wants to pay for them then they can but I refuse.” Yet this photographer charges other models for his services. It seems very unfair and as I had said before, insulting to say the least. I am not stating that photographers have to always pay for models, it just doesn't seem equal if you charge models for your services yet don't expect to do the same. And if that really is how you feel, don't tell the model least of all!


It's completely up to you how much you believe you are worth, money wise, and only you will know what rate suits you best. The most important factors to remember, what will get you that paid gig are:
- Experience
- Work quality
- Attitude (the right kind)
Professionalism
- Confidence 
Also I realise makeup peeps have the kit fee to worry about. After many conversations with talented MUAs (makeup artists) in my dealings, I found that they have had to lower the prices of the kit fees because there are less talented MUAs picking up the jobs since they are willing to do it for free. First of all I would like to "tsk tsk" those for picking the not so talented over the talented due to budget (unless budget is a huge issue, I can understand that). But I would like to say those struggling MUAs, don't lower your price especially if you know you're worth more. You have to stand your ground, show your confidence and people will come round and realise how serious you are. Obviously experience, quality and professionalism also apply to MUAs like everyone else.


I hope that's helped if you've been wondering how you would go about making the rates for yourself. If anyone has any other input or suggestions please feel free to share here. Happy job hunting!!!


Photography by Stephen M. Loban, makeup by Kayla Jackon, model is myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment