Tuesday 17 April 2012

Are You Worth It?- Part two...

So for this entry I'm going to get a little serious. I know I will be treading on some toes here and some of you will be disturbed and angry. You may even be mad at me, but it needs to be said.


This question is primarily directed at female models but it does apply to male models and makeup artists (MUAs) too. After hearing stories, I have come to discover that it affects a lot more MUAs then I thought. What I am asking you is when it comes to your dignity and self respect, do you think you're worth it?


I read an article from dailymail.co.uk today that really caught my attention. Amy Willerton is a UK glamour model who has just signed with another glamour model and very well known personailty in the UK, Katie Price. In the article she reminisces about her pageant days  and when still rising to the top of  the glamour modeling industry. Here is a quote...


"The ugliness of the beauty industry hides easily beneath sequins and foundation - but Amy Willerton experienced the darker side of paegant life during a trip to Korea.
Jordan's protégée, who won Signed by Katie Price last year, was sent abroad to represent Great Britain in a competition, but was propositioned by men bribing her for sex in exchange for prizes.
The Bristolian said implied girls that did cave into the pressures were rewarded with winning titles.
Amy said: 'Guys would come up and say, "I know what I can do for you, but what can you do for me?"'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2131021/Amy-Willerton-reveals-darker-pageant-life-men-bribed-sex.html#ixzz1sLqAdOnw
 
The reason this article caught my eye was I, myself, had a similar experience about four or five days ago. Since my experience I have been fighting with myself if I should keep this quiet or not? Might it damage my career? Now, I am beyond the point of caring about the repercussions, especially when it comes to a subject like this. I have come to a point though where I am saying to myself, "No, this is not okay! People, especially men, should not be allowed to get away with this! It's time to speak up!"


Back in the Winter time I had submitted a photo shoot to several magazines based in Canada, America and the UK. Three magazines responded with interest, I picked one, it was printed, the end. I did not hear from the other twenty or so magazines I submitted to. Until about a week ago when online magazine "Hellion Magazine" sent me an email in response to my submission simply saying, "Do you have a number I can reach you?" Since the editor wanted to talk about my modeling. I gave it to him and he called two days later. 

It started out simple enough. Asked me how long I had been modeling for, age, measurements, what type of modeling I did, etc. Then he asked me for more of my pictures to see my work which seemed very odd since I had submitted the spread to him. Then the conversation began to turn. He asked me how far I would go with nudity. I told him nothing below the belt (a.k.a. I will not show my vagina) and it had to be tasteful. He said he didn't understand and when I explained to him as, "Like the stuff you would see in Playboy." He responded with, "I wouldn't know, I don't read Playboy." That sent up little red flags. I don't read Playboy and I know what type of photos they do, I smelt the strong scent of BS. (I just want to clarify before I carry on I have no problem with Playboy or what those models do, it is just not something I want to do with my modeling.)

The conversation really took a turn for the worst when he was unable to convince me to "go far" with the nudity and supposedly "my career". Then he bluntly asked me, "Would you do me favours?" I asked him what he meant by "favours" and he responded with, "What do you think?" I had already known the answer the minute he asked the question, I just wanted to clarify what I was actually hearing. I bluntly told him, "No. Absolutely not." He proceeded to try and convince me that I would not go far in my career if I was not willing to do people "favours" in this business. He also stated something similar to what was said in Willerton's interview. At one point she stated, "Guys would come up and say, 'I know what I can do for you, but what can you do for me?'" Pretty much in the same manner the editor said to me, "Us photographers get screwed over way to often, how are you going to help me out is the question here?" 

At the end I told him I was clearly the wrong girl for his so called, "editorial shoot". He concluded by stating that he would LOVE to book me but thought I was to "stuck up" and "not willing to go the extra mile" for my career. He told me everyone at the top had to have a little "fun" to get to where they are today. I said, "That doesn't sound like fun to me."

I really should have slammed the phone down on him half an hour before it actually ended, but I was completely dumbstruck by what I was listening to. I have heard these stories on countless occasions, directly from the models, MUAs, etc., either them or from a secondary source, but I never thought I would experience it myself. I am lucky though, some stories I've heard didn't end well, which brings me to my next story that I would like to share with you. The morning after that disgusting phone call I received this message on my Facebook fan page that I think is important to share with you, especially those in Ontario and/or Quebec...

Hello Victoria,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXXXX and I am speaking on behalf of XXXXXXXX a model in Montreal, who was sexually violated and physically assualted by Photographer Sebastien Fiss on April 11, 2012. He has since deactivated both his facebook page and model mayhem account and the police have little information on this man. Any information (phone number, location, contacts, friends) ANYTHING that you think will aid us in the arrest and deserved result for this man.

Please contact me via email or my cell phone ( XXXXXXXXXXXX  )


This is NOT okay! I wanted to share this in order to get the word out. I want to help find this man and stop him from harming anyone else especially since the model whose's friend reached out to me. If you have any information on him please contact the Montreal police. I censored the names and the number because I don't want any trolls or idiots making prank calls or just generally humiliating them. 

I know I have named names and stepped on toes here and I do know more names to name and toes to tread on that I did not, but I don't want to turn this blog into THAT kind of a blog. I just found it very important to inform my readers and highlight a very important topic that seems to keep being swept under the carpet despite its' constant appearance in this industry. I am sorry for the morbid topic but please think, be safe and ask yourself not just, "Am I worth it?" But, "Is this worth it?" 

Photo taken from http://www.dailymail.co.uk from a shoot with OK! Magazine UK. Model is Amy 

Willerton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment