Wednesday 18 April 2012

The Mass Exodus Experience!







On April 11th to the 12th, I participated for the second time in a row the Ryerson fashion school's graduation show titled Mass Exodus. Last year I came in as a replacement for a friend so I had missed out on the castings and the additional fittings beforehand, so this time round I got to experience the whole process.

I think overall 150 models participated in this year's show, give or take. I overheard that this was the most models they have ever had, I could be mistaken though. One thing is for sure, next to Bruno Ierullo's annual show this is one of the biggest runway productions in all of Toronto. The runway is always beautifully constructed and sometimes very over the top (in a good way). Last year I recall the runway had an almost iceberg feel to it. This year it was a little more simple but still very interesting. 
Mass Exodus 2011. Katy Bennett's designs. Photography by  Michael Zahra.



Mass Exodus 2012 runway set up. Opening remarks. Photography by Arthur Mola.


The makeup for this year was provided by Complections makeup school and the hair styling was provided by Marc Anthony. For the makeup they did a very simple, natural look which I think was smart considering each designer and each outfit is completely different from each other. Some girls received nude lips and some received red lips. I had the red lips which I was ecstatic about since I feel I look better in red. The hair was done in braids. Some models, like myself, received a very "Heidi" look where the braids wrapped around our head. Others got the fish tail on the side. Again going with the natural, uncomplicated look like the makeup. Just natural beauty. 
The fishtail. Photo taken by Arthur Mola.

The "Heidi" look. Photo taken by Arthur Mola.
I loved my look. I think the Complections and Marc Anthony team did an exceptional job. It definitely inspired me to recreate that look, especially the "Heidi" braid. I also have to applaud the Marc Anthony team for having to deal with my extensions, I was so nervous about them. 
My look for the show. Photo taken by me.
This year I walked for four talented designers and three of the PR show they have every year as Ryerson's final show. Altogether there are five shows. Two of the shows are mostly for high school students so they can see what it would be like to sign up as a fashion student at Ryerson. Two of them are mostly for friends and family for anyone in the show. My Mom and Godmother attended the six o'clock show on the first day which was nice since my Mother hasn't seen one of my runway shows for more than a year. The final PR show is by invite only. Mostly for potential buyers and media. Only a certain amount of designers are selected to showcase in this show. The four designers I walked for are...
Raegan Moynes. Photo taken by Steve Alkok.
Mona Vedadi. Photo taken by Michael Ho.
Sarah Graham. Photo taken by Ming Siu.
And finally Lia Valdez. Photo taken by Raymond Chow.

I walked for Lia Valdez, Sarah Graham and Mona Vedadi in the final PR show. Out of all four designers the biggest response I received was walking for Lia Valdez and no surprises there! Inspired by S&M wear, this talented designer "whipped" up some intricate designs using leather and spikes. The minute they brought out her designs for our group in the fittings I was immediately drawn to the hand cuff piece with it's layers of belts. I just loved the triangle of spikes in the middle and the leather piece over the mouth added to the whole look perfectly. I had never worn something like this before and I really wanted to show the emotion in the outfit as I walked. I am so happy to hear the outfit and even my walk got such high reviews. One person mentioned on Twitter, "Bondage Barbie was clearly second from right... #bestwalk #MassEx2012." That felt good and I think I may have to adopt that name, "Bondage Barbie". It was great to walk out with Lia Valdez at the end, she was really lovely to talk to(or in my case muffle through the mouth piece). I was very excited when she got an interview with Plaid Magazine at the end. Well done girl! 
The lovely designer herself, Lia Valdez. Photo taken by Michael Ho.
I also got to model for Samantha Rice previous to the show. I modeled in one of her pieces for her thesis in a group photo shoot and I must say the outfits are right out of a Haute Couture fairy tale. Still waiting on more pictures to come, very excited to see them! 
Samantha Rice's designs. I'm second on the left.

Another part of the show I was absolutely thrilled about was the ballet theme (except for the fact I did not get to walk in any of these designs, so sad). Designers Jalessa Rae French, Melanie Worobetz and Alexandra Julian all made dance inspired lines. Melanie and Alexandra went as far as actually making tutus. Back in grade 12 I tried making one of these pancake style tutus for my art ISU until I realised how skilled one must be to make these. I ultimately made just the classic, long tutu so I have a lot of respect for these two designers. Alexandra in particular said she was inspired by "The Little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Andersen for her collection. Her line made it into the PR show as well. I am excited to post our interview in a later entry where she will discuss all about the work process and her inspiration. Be still my ballet heart!!!
Behind the scenes in Alexandra Julian's tutus. Photo taken by Arthur Mola.
Overall Mass Exodus was such a great experience. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed watching the process from behind the scenes. Well done to all the design students, the production team, the dressers and all the students who were involved in making the show what it was. Also a big shout out to all my model friends. To the  old ones I have worked with on countless occasions (Myles... Cinnamon Challenge?! Ha!) And to all the new model friends I have made, I am sure we will run into each other again. Big congratulations again to the hair and makeup team. Well done everyone!

First three photos on top of the page taken by Michael Ho. Photo far right on top of page taken by Steve Alkok.
Photographers' websites:

No comments:

Post a Comment